Running a one-man mobile aquarium service in the Tampa area, I'll often anticipate what might be the most rewarding munchable in whatever part of town I find myself on a given day--- hence the incredibly clever name of the blog...

Since my road time is mostly during business hours, usually I'll be goin' on about some lunchtime jam ----but often the best part of my day is when I get home and yank a Wusthof off the wall, so I linked up a home cooking page too...

I can have a lot of fun with a bad restaurant experience as long as it didn't cost too much, and it usually doesn't...
This is a pretty ego-free, blue-collar food blog that will hopefully reflect my love of good food & good people...
Both are monumental...

On occasion, this dog'll jump the fence when a more upscale place or a chef seems to be buzzin'...
Sometimes I'm inspired, but too often, surprisingly, I find myself concluding, 'they ain't got nuttin' on this mutton'!

Being an enthusiastic nose-to-tail guy, I usually seek out soulful, inexpensive, generously plated ethnic comfort foods, scanning a new menu for the most adventurous stuff first...
When on occassion I detect talent or love, it seems I'm compelled by the forces of nature to tell you about it!

Thanks for finding your way here... I get self-conscious imposing my details and diatribes on the public forums.
At least I know that if you come here we might be better tuned to each-other's frequency...
The shelves aren't very well-stocked at the moment but there will be lots of pretty pictures to look at and tales to tell...
I'm familiar with the term; 'brevity is the soul of wit', and I'm working on it... Blessings...

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wood Fired Pizza on Bearss Avenue in Tampa...

After so much enthusiastic buzz from fellow Chowhounds, the stars finally aligned and I made it in--- finding myself in the area, pretty darn hungry, and off my lo-carb diet simultaneously........ It was the perfect storm...

I knew it wasn't goin' to be pretty, being a 260 pound party of one, so I took a seat in the back, in the dark...
Peter, the pizzaiolo and owner introduced himself warmly and asked if I wanted him to turn on a light, and I said I didn't need it...
It wasn't that dark---- it was just in the furthest area from the big front windows...
I could still see colors....

I didn't have to eat the whole pizza by myself at one sitting, and if I'd ordered a sensible artisenal selection--- maybe something with a vegetable on it, it might have fueled the perception that I was making an effort, and my wife might have been happy to receive the offering, but I ordered their largest version of the 'Carnivore' and therefore had to leave no evidence....


The Carnivore

I look forward to going back soon with my wife and sharing a pizza like a normal person...

I went in expecting to get the infamous 'Pistachio' pizza, or maybe the one with the carmelized onions & mushrooms, but I was hungry and I thought---- 'let's just see how they do THIS first'....

Seems the Carnivore is my 'vanilla'...

When I ordered the 'Enormi', their largest, and was questioned about it, I assured Peter and my waitress that I was prepared to take home leftovers, which made everybody feel better about my order------ but I knew there was a damn good chance I was gonna walk outta there with only my keys in my hand...

I had a mild compulsion I admittedly didn't try hard to resist that was encouraging me to make it a memorable first visit------ to plant a flag...
Honestly tho, every component of the pizza encouraged me to take another bite...

Peter told me that he's been known to eat whole big one before, but that he was a kung fu pizza master from the far east (he used different words)...
I responded that I was pretty good myself----that's why I could do it in the dark!
That got a hearty laugh which I appreciated...

When I started photographing the pizza on its pedestal thingy, Peter realized I wasn't just a normal person and asked; 'what do you do'?
I pointed to my logo'd work van in the parking lot and told him about the Chowhound thing...

He said; "oh! you just missed Andy and his brother!"....
I loved it! ---- but of course regretted missing those guys...

It was around 1:30, and he was winding down after the lunch rush...
While my pizza was in his amazing and beautiful oven, and after a bit more evidence of my fanaticism made its way to the surface, he talked about his carefully selected ingredients, and we went a little off the rails imagining other possible ingredients and fun combinations, which I totally enjoyed, being an adventurous and passionate home cook...

Let me tellya, it all made for a pretty freakin' sweet first visit to a place!

It's absolutely not the pizza I grew up with in New Jersey and Philadelphia, but I liked it very much... The crust itself has soul--- toasty and smoky, with the flavor, quality, and balance of the toppings putting the lovey dovey smile on my face, seducing one more slice...
----and if I'd ordered sensibly for one person it would have felt just-right cost-wise for lunch...
Whatever pizza is the next size down would be about right...
I'll save the Enormi for when I'm with somebody------ maybe...
I'll thank you to stay out of my personal affairs!

I actually wanted to go back the next day with my wife to show her the super cool wood-fire pizza oven and to try some other fun mambocombo, but I couldn't take the chance on him yelling out 'BACK SO SOON??!!'...

I know a good bartender would know better, but I wasn't sure about pizzaiolos----- even good ones like Peter...

Wood Fired Pizza
2822 East Bearss Avenue
Tampa, FL 33613
http://wood-firedpizza.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment