Running a one-man mobile aquarium service in the Tampa area, I'll often anticipate what might be the most rewarding munchable in whatever part of town I find myself on a given day--- hence the incredibly clever name of the blog...

Since my road time is mostly during business hours, usually I'll be goin' on about some lunchtime jam ----but often the best part of my day is when I get home and yank a Wusthof off the wall, so I linked up a home cooking page too...

I can have a lot of fun with a bad restaurant experience as long as it didn't cost too much, and it usually doesn't...
This is a pretty ego-free, blue-collar food blog that will hopefully reflect my love of good food & good people...
Both are monumental...

On occasion, this dog'll jump the fence when a more upscale place or a chef seems to be buzzin'...
Sometimes I'm inspired, but too often, surprisingly, I find myself concluding, 'they ain't got nuttin' on this mutton'!

Being an enthusiastic nose-to-tail guy, I usually seek out soulful, inexpensive, generously plated ethnic comfort foods, scanning a new menu for the most adventurous stuff first...
When on occassion I detect talent or love, it seems I'm compelled by the forces of nature to tell you about it!

Thanks for finding your way here... I get self-conscious imposing my details and diatribes on the public forums.
At least I know that if you come here we might be better tuned to each-other's frequency...
The shelves aren't very well-stocked at the moment but there will be lots of pretty pictures to look at and tales to tell...
I'm familiar with the term; 'brevity is the soul of wit', and I'm working on it... Blessings...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A really nice lunch at Pia's Trattoria in Gulfport, St. Pete...

'Gecko Fest' was Saturday the 4th, and my good friend's birthday, so we took a drive over the bridge, me with pockets stuffed with folded paper towels expecting it was going to be hot, and it was brutal...
Luckily there are lots of big shady trees all along Beach Blvd, the main strip, that was roped off to allow only walking traffic...

Two absolutely 'Jurassic' Camels were taking a break from the Camel rides under one of those big trees munching away at the leaves when the owner of that particular tree came out and mildly protested for only a second or two before appreciating the awesomeness and all the smiling faces gathering on the sidewalk near her front lawn...

There were plenty of food concessions set up like you'd see at any fair, and some looked darn good, but since we needed air conditioning even more than food, I turned to the bricks and saw Pia's Trattoria 'Pasta & Panini Cafe'...
It looked like a pretty place that I hoped my Italian/Argentinean wife, who's not terribly trusting of restaurants, might enjoy... I prayed this was a real restaurant, and not a place that thrives on the 'hit & run' type of tourist business that I experienced in Cedar Key... (Maybe I'll tell that short story soon...)
After a thumbs-up from a local, we made our way in...

The homey rustic Italian renaissance vibe captivated all of us to the place immediately...
I'll add pics of the restaurant when I go again, but this time I just got a few images of what we ordered, which was a Calamari in a butter, lemon, and garlic sauce that we intended to share--- and since there were 4 of us, 4 Panini...

My wife got the Panini 'Crudo', which was Proscuitto, Mozzarella, Arugula, Olive Oil & Pepper...
Me and a friend each ordered the 'Cartoccio', which was Smoked Ham, Cheese, Sopressata Salami, Chives and Salsa Rosa--- a delicious red sauce reduced almost to a relish, with concentrated tomato flavor...
Birthday Boy got the 'Spezial' which was Bacon, Mozzarella Cheese, Arugula, Tomatoes and Balsamico mushrooms...

The squid appetizer, in that textured sauce, over baby arugula, blew our minds--- even tho there were only 3 fairly small tail sections for $10.50, and there were 4 of us... The squid couldn't have been more tender...
We all got a taste, and we all dipped some bread, but at first we simply chewed and stared at each-other with serious, meaningful glances, then blabbed like Joy Behar about coming back and having a dinner version of whatever they offered in this preparation...

Our super-attentive and friendly server was happy to bring us another basket of fresh baked Italian Focaccia Bread to pull up all evidence of that sauce...
The first basket celebrated the herbed dipping oil...
 
The Calamari with Butter Lemon & Garlic

I'm also a fan of Panini, now more than ever...
This was an enlightening glimpse into what they can be...
On a previous occassion at a place in New Tampa who is no longer open, the pressed and toasted crusty bread was so hard on top and bottom that when I bit down, the guts squooshed out all over my cleanest dirty shirt!

This carefully chosen bread was toasted beautifully, lightly crispy and very easy to bite through...
They were nice sized sandwiches cut into quarters--- but I'll admit that if my wife wasn't with me I might have ordered two... No apps, no bread basket...



Historically, I've always and only been a fan of big stuffed Italian & Jewish deli sandwiches, manly hoagies and subs, but these spoke to me in a softer voice, with an exotic accent---- kinda like my Latin wife, after a couple Sangrias...

All that still has a place in my heart, (pun intended) but I'm kind of impressed with myself a little, that these days quality, flavor, balance, care, and value, are appreciated as much as 'da weight of da plate'...

Ah, who am I kiddin'?
If I'm still hungry I'll just drive up the road and get something else!

  
The Crudo

 
 A segment of the menu description is:

"Using expressive and fresh ingredients are the key to the traditional Panini sandwich. Remember: the idea is not to overwhelm the sandwich with too many ingredients, but to focus on the balance of flavors and textures that you want to taste!"

Well, if they hadn't pulled that off, I would be talkin' about some other place altogether!







   
The Cartoccio




It was worth the drive from Tampa, even tho the festival didn't do much for us, and it was scorchin' hot...

No comments:

Post a Comment