Running a one-man mobile aquarium service in the Tampa area, I'll often anticipate what might be the most rewarding munchable in whatever part of town I find myself on a given day--- hence the incredibly clever name of the blog...

Since my road time is mostly during business hours, usually I'll be goin' on about some lunchtime jam ----but often the best part of my day is when I get home and yank a Wusthof off the wall, so I linked up a home cooking page too...

I can have a lot of fun with a bad restaurant experience as long as it didn't cost too much, and it usually doesn't...
This is a pretty ego-free, blue-collar food blog that will hopefully reflect my love of good food & good people...
Both are monumental...

On occasion, this dog'll jump the fence when a more upscale place or a chef seems to be buzzin'...
Sometimes I'm inspired, but too often, surprisingly, I find myself concluding, 'they ain't got nuttin' on this mutton'!

Being an enthusiastic nose-to-tail guy, I usually seek out soulful, inexpensive, generously plated ethnic comfort foods, scanning a new menu for the most adventurous stuff first...
When on occassion I detect talent or love, it seems I'm compelled by the forces of nature to tell you about it!

Thanks for finding your way here... I get self-conscious imposing my details and diatribes on the public forums.
At least I know that if you come here we might be better tuned to each-other's frequency...
The shelves aren't very well-stocked at the moment but there will be lots of pretty pictures to look at and tales to tell...
I'm familiar with the term; 'brevity is the soul of wit', and I'm working on it... Blessings...

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Excellent lunch at Tokyo Sushi Bar at Fowler and 56th in Temple Terrace..

A couple times recently when I was out in the Temple Terrace area preparing to hit Cilantro or Jai Ho, I remembered that one of my Chowhound buds highly recommended a sushi place in the area that served something called a 'CD Roll'... That it was a scene, man...

So after a Facebook friend tortured me with cellphone sushi pics the night before, finding myself cruising down 56th Street around 1:30PM I decided I'd seek it out, and I texted for the coordinates... I was 9 seconds away!

It's a pretty little place and everyone was welcoming and nice...
As usual, there's lots of gossiping and giggling 'at me' by the staff and other diners when my big ol' camera comes out...
I asked if it was OK and my excellent waiter said 'sure!'...
Sometimes I'll just smile and mime to the other tables that 'I'm crazy'...


I didn't see the CD Roll on the menu, on the sushi order sheet, or on the multiple boards on the wall--- but when I asked about it my waiter enthusiastically made a point to tell me that the Sushi-dude working that day invented it, and they both asked how I knew about it since it wasn't on the menu... They got a kick that the Chowhounds were talking about it...
I don't know if he made my food extra good because he knew I was going to be photographing it and most likely reporting back, but it was excellent---- and it arrived in a big boat! I LOVE THAT!
All for me---- and the one roll filled it up! $17.00...


Each slice was 3"-4" in diameter and was a decadent, barely managable mouthful... Crab salad, Cuttlefish, Fried Fish, Shrimp, Tuna, Seaweed or Herb Salad...
Sorry I don't know which... I assumed it was seaweed, but in looking at these photos it appears to be a parsley scallion thing... The bow of the boat was filled with a spicy remoulade with 'CD' written in eel sauce!


It really was an inspired combination of textures and flavors...
I ordered a double order of Yellowtail (Hamachi) nigiri as well, since it's been a while since I've had that...
The perfectly fresh, slightly oily, and totally delicious slices were very generous as you'll see in the photo below... Loved it all!


Tokyo Sushi Bar
5711 E Fowler Ave
Temple Terrace, FL 33617-2398
(813) 983-1822

No comments:

Post a Comment